As promised to my readers (and myself), I am going to try harder to post more about the going ons in the studio this year. I have been spending more time this year putting pen to paper as one of the first acts in the studio everyday. Rather than trying to compose something anew for the blog each time, I have decided to transcribe excerpts from my writings as blog posts and add any additional thoughts that come up during the writing on this blog.
Without further ado.
January 9, 2017
With the initial idea of spending all day drawing Memory Walks being usurped by getting PR done for Art Nagoya and the fear that stretching paper on panel was not going to work, I found myself playing around with stretching paper – almost all day. I ended up stretching paper on all the panels that I had up to A4 size. This is what I learned.
I don’t need a lot of moisture especially for the surface of the paper touching the panel as that maintains the moisture that was on the paper.
I need to make sure that I am drawing on the proper side of the the paper i.e. on the side of the grain if I am making the drawing before mounting. And I need to brush the water on the opposite of the grain for mounting onto the panel when I am starting fresh.
I also had a concern with the corners in which I saw some wearing away of the paper at the corners, like from the pooling of excess moisture at the folding points.
That said, I am pretty happy with how the stretching went today and I like that I can use a hair dryer to dry out the paper and get a smooth flat surface with the kind of paper that is best suited for oil and water-based pens.
Here is a sample of one of the drawings that I stretched onto panel.
Stepping back to Saturday morning, I struggled to get up for the Arduino workshop that Art Byte Critique organized for the weekend. Once I got settled in the workshop, I watched the hours disappear and then it was time to call it a day. I was still hazy about how to set up a proper circuit and what components have polarity and what components don’t. Still, it was a start as I was able to get my LED lights to blink.
With hopes of getting up early to get some studio work done before the second day of the workshop, I got up early enough only to get ready for the workshop at a leisurely pace. And again, the second day went by really quickly and it was a very productive day.
This is what I found to be useful for my studio ideas.
The step motor – to control the movement of the strings that the Memory Walks drawings are attached to in the hopes of creating a synchronized movement of some sort or even programmed moment based on the given day.
The ultrasound sensor – a fantastic tool detecting movement in a space which could be used to trigger an event in the exhibition space
LED lights – learning how to sequence the LED’s in a more complex way is the next challenge, but I can change the timing and intensity of the LED’s at this point
I still have a lot of work to do understanding circuits and programming, but the weekend was a good start and hopefully ABC will continue to meet on a semi-regular basis to explore studio-inspired ideas and troubleshoot together.
This is what my desk looked like at the end of the workshop.