Day 3 of my 3rd stay in Nakanojo

This is the earliest that I have been back at the residence in my three visits here.  It could not have come at a better time.  I am pretty exhausted.  There was no way I was going to last until 7 pm tonight.  If I look at my work schedule the last three days – Friday 1:30 – 6:30, 9:00 – 10:30, Saturday 9:30 – 7:00, Sunday, 9:30 – 4:00.  That totals to about 22 hours of work in three days.  Pretty much done with everything that I wanted to do this weekend as well.  Lots of drawings were done.  I think I am past twenty at this point.  I am kind of drawing on fumes at this point.  

I got to the gallery this morning and the first thing I did was to test out my idea for using 100 yen frames, staples, and fishing line to hang the drawings that I make in Nakanojo. 

Turns out the idea worked out brilliantly!

Still think the white is probably going to work the best although the dark brown frame might also be an option. 

After that I decided that the chances the weather was going to be this cool in two weeks was slim, so it was my best chance to walk around the area comfortably and take some pictures and absorb the landscape. 

I made my way slowly down to the Kamisawatari River and ended up making four drawings which were definitely influenced by being outside along the riverbank.  Afterwards, I worked my way back up the hill and stopped off at Kaneki for some coffee and to finish up the fourth drawing.  After that I headed back to the studio and did a count of each day of the week for my drawings in Tokyo and separately for those in Nakanojo.  Then it was a few more drawings before eating too much for lunch.  Back in the studio for some more documentations, especially of the frames and then more drawings till I dropped.  

Basically, there will be more necessary studio work in Tokyo while my time in Nakanojo will be mostly spent laying out the installation as well as catching up on work that I planned to do in Tokyo.  The intervening 10 days is not a lot of time especially if I take a day or two for recovery.

That is it for now.  If I can that last gnat, my evening would be complete.  Yakitori around 7 pm or so, then maybe some reading then early to bed.

Tomorrow will be a light day.  Six hours at the gallery and then back to Tokyo.  I am going to try and write something for the artwork description on the way home to at least get started.  And I definitely do not need to do anymore drawings.

The question becomes, should there be editing of my drawings from 2017?  It would cut down on costs, but then again, I kind of want to see them all so I can make connections.  My intuition is to say keep them all.  I should pick a cut off day which I will make tentatively the end of July and assess the total numbers and how the installation goes.  I could always add to the installation as it progresses.  

The cost of materials makes me nervous me, but ultimately I will spend what I need to make the best possible installation I can.  I have made a fair investment in materials this year with exhibitions in Nagoya and Tokyo.  I think part of the anxiety is that I was trying to keep costs down, but as I work steadily towards the installation, I have gotten a better and better sense of what will work and what will not and I am reluctant to move away from what I think will make the best work.  My small wish is that the white tack is going to work around the bottom of the acrylic pipes as that would save a significant amount of money!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s